ECE 6910/7910 Graduate Seminar
Spring Semester 2015
Instructor: Prof. Gianluca Lazzi, firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: WEB 1230
Meeting Time: Mondays (and some Fridays) at 3:05-3:55 p.m.
Teaching Assistant: Siddharth Kapoor, email@example.com
General Course Information and Requirements
- This is a credit/no credit class required of all MS/ME students. A student continuing for the Ph.D. degree must register for ECE 7900/7910 after having previously taken ECE 6900 and 6910 during their MS/ME program.
- A tentative Graduate Seminar Schedule for the beginning of Spring 2015 is indicated below. Several of the seminars have yet to be announced. These slots will be filled in due course, and the speakers and topics of the seminars will be announced as the information becomes available.
- To receive credit for this class, a student must attend at least 70% of the seminars offered. Based on the current estimate of seminars that will be offered this semester (17), this translates into attending at least 12 seminars. This number is just an estimate – students are responsible for making sure they have attended 70% of the total number of seminars.
- Seminar attendance will be recorded through the students UCard. Each student registered for the course will be registered in the system using the serial number from their UCard. It is a student’s responsibility to bring their UCard to each seminar, scan it with the UCard reader that the course’s TA brings to class, and stay for the duration of the seminar to get credit.
- The first graduate seminar of Spring Semester will be held on Monday, January 12, 2015.
- Students are expected to turn in a well-written, 2-page minimum report on any seminars that they attended during the year. Students may compensate for 2 absences by turning in an additional report on the research of any single graduate seminar speaker. Reports should be turned in to the course TA before the last day of the semester and should be in the IEEE Magnetics Letters format laid out at the bottom of the following webpage:
No other format will be accepted. To receive credit, reports should be written in good, idiomatic English.
Monday, April 27th, 2015 from 3:05 – 3:55 p.m. in WEB 1230
By Dr. Howard (Ho Wai) Lee, Postdoctoral Scholar, Thomas J. Watson Laboratory of Applied Physics, California Institute of Technology<><>
Friday, April 24th, 2015 from 3:05 – 3:55 p.m. in WEB 1230
By Dr. Heayoung Yoon, Research Associate, Center for Nanoscale Science & Technology, National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST)<><><>
Monday, April 20th, 2015 from 3:05 – 3:55 p.m. in WEB 1230
Dr. Peifen Zhu, Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Engineering Physics, University of Tulsa<><><>
Friday, April 17th, 2015 from 3:05 – 3:55 p.m. in WEB 1230
Dr. Reza Zoughi, IEEE Distinguished Lecturer in Instrumentation and Measurements, Schlumberger Endowed Professor, Missouri University of Science and Technology<><><>
Monday, April 13, 2015 from 3:05 - 3:55 p.m. in WEB 1230
Dr. Massood Tabib-Azar, USTAR Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering Dept.<><><>
“Big Data Computational Imaging: Designing Instruments and Algorithms for Gigapixel Cameras and Real-time Millimeter-wave Radar”
Fri. April 10th, 2015 from 3:05 – 3:55 p.m. in WEB 1230
By Dr. Daniel Marks, Associate Research Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering Dept., Duke University<><><>
Monday, April 6th, 2015 from 3:05 – 3:55 p.m. in WEB 1230
Dr. Hyde M. Merrill; retired independent consulting engineer for Merrill Energy LLC, visiting assistant professor at MIT and adjunct professor at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute<><><>
Mon. March 30th, 2015 from 3:05 – 3:55 p.m. in WEB 1230
Dr. Pierre-Emmanuel Gaillardon, Research Associate, Laboratory of Integrated Systems, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology - EPFL<><><>
Friday, March 27, 2015 from 3:05-3:55 p.m. in WEB 1230<>
Monday, March 23, 2015 from 3:05-3:55 p.m. in WEB 1230<>
Friday, March 13th 2015 from 3:05 – 3:55 p.m. in WEB 1230
Dr. Reza Arghandeh, Postdoctoral Scholar, University of California – Berkeley<><><>
"Analysis of Sub-synchronous Resonance in Wind Farms Interfaced with Series Compensated Transmission Lines"
Mon. March 9th, 2015 from 3:05 – 3:55 p.m. in WEB 1230
Dr. Hossein Ali Mohammadpour, Postdoctoral Fellow, University of South Carolina<><><>
Friday, March 6th, 2015 from 3:05 – 3:55 p.m. in SMBB 2650
By Dr. Linda P.B. Katehi, Chancellor of University of California, Davis<><><>
Monday, March 2, 2015 at 3:05 p.m. in WEB 1230<>
Fri. Feb. 27th, 2015 3:05 – 3:55 p.m. WEB 1230 Warnock Engineering Building University of Utah
Dr. Masood Parvania, Postdoctoral Scholar, Center for Trustworthy Cyber Infrastructure for the Power Grid (TCIPG), Arizona State University<><><>
Mon. Feb. 23, 2015; 3:05 – 3:55 p.m. SMBB 2650
Dr. Polina Anikeeva, Career Development Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering Massachusetts Institute of Technology<><><>
Friday, February 20 at 3:05 pm in WEB 1230
Chung-Wei Lin is currently a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of California, Berkeley.<><><>
Friday, February 13 at 3:05 in WEB 1230
Jeyavijayan (JV) Rajendran is a PhD Candidate in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at New York University.<><><>
Monday, February 9, 2015 at 3:05 p.m. in WEB 1230<>
Friday, January 30, 2015 at 3:05 p.m. in WEB 1230
Dr. Venkata Yaramasu, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada<><><>
"Implantable and Wearable Microelectronic Devices to Improve Quality of Life for People with Disabilities"
Monday, January 26, 2015 at 3:05 pm in WEB 1230
Maysam Ghovanloo, Ph.D., from the GT-Bionics Lab in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology<><><>
“Macro Impacts with Micro Technologies: Toward Distributed Environmental Monitoring via Pervasive Electronics”
Monday, January 12, 2015 at 3:05 p.m. in WEB 1230
Dr. Hanseup Kim, USTAR Assistant Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering Dept., University of Utah<><><>