Read about the problem, the live wire solution, and a comparison of different wire fault location methods. And THEN wade into the publications below.
For a complete list of Dr. Furses publications, conference presentations, and patents: click here.
For More Information Contact: Dr. Cynthia Furse
Disclaimer: This material is presented to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work. Copyright and all rights therein are retained by authors or by other copyright holders. All persons copying this information are expected to adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each authors copyright. In most cases, these works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.
IEEE material: Personal use of this material is permitted.
However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works must be obtained from the IEEE.
A New Q/A update to this article appears in April 2008
The base patents:
3. You Chung Chung, Chet Lo, John Mahoney, Jeremy Pruitt, Ryan Hanks, Santi Basava, Cynthia Furse, Non-Destructive Fault Location on Aging Aircraft Wiring Networks, Part 1 Cost Optimized Solutions, IEEE Antennas and Propagation International Symposium, June 2003, Columbus, OH
4. Paul Smith, Alyssa Magelby, Deekshit Dosibhatla, Chet Lo, Cynthia Furse, Jacob Gunther, Non-Destructive Fault Location on Aging Aircraft Wiring Networks, Part 2 Live Wires in Flight, IEEE Antennas and Propagation International Symposium, June 2003, Columbus, OH
5. Commercialization: LiveWire Innovation
1. Demonstration of location of intermittent faults:C.Furse, P.Smith, M. Safavi, C. Lo, Feasibility of Spread Spectrum Reflectometry for Location of Arcs on Live Wires, IEEE Journal of Sensors, Vol.5, No. 6, Dec. 2005, pp.1445-1450
2. The system you are testing is the limiting factor on your ability to see small faults: Lance Griffiths, Rohit Parakh, Cynthia Furse, Brittany Baker, The Invisible Fray: A Critical Analysis of the Use of Reflectometry for Fray Location, IEEE Journal of Sensors, Volume 6, Issue 3, June 2006
3. For a very well controlled system, S/SSTDR can find extremely small faults: C. Furse, P. Smith, M. Diamond, Feasibility of Reflectometry for Nondestructive Evaluation of Prestressed Concrete Anchors, IEEE Journal of Sensors, Vol. 9. No. 11, Nov. 2009, pp. 1322-1329
4. A novel way of locating small faults on cable shields: L. Thomson, B. Jones, J. Stephenson, C. Furse, Non-Contact Connections for Reflectometry and Location of Faults in Cable Shields, 2012 Aircraft Airworthiness and Sustainability Conference, April 2-5, 2012, Baltimore, MD
5. For Corrosion Detection: Alex L Robinson, Cynthia Furse, Paul Kuhn, Michael Diamond, Update on LiveWire Fault Detection, SAND Number 2008-1695A,Sensors Workshop 2008, LLNL, Livermore, CA, April 1-2, 2008 (Some of this data is included here)
Cynthia Furse, Deekshit Dosibhatla, Jacob Gunther, Paul Smith, Chet Lo, Sachin Chandra, Alyssa Magelby, Spread Spectrum Communication Techniques Applied to Impedance Measurement, IEEE Antennas and Propagation International Symposium, June 16-21, 2002, San Antonio, TX, Invited Paper
2. Cynthia Furse, Paul Smith, Rohit Parakh, Sensors for Wiring and Structural Cable Fault Location, Joint US-India Workshop on Advanced Sensing Systems and Smart Structures Technologies, in cooperation with IIT Bombay, on December 20-22, 2004
a) L. Thomson, B. Jones, J. Stephenson, C. Furse, Non-Contact Connections for Reflectometry and Location of Faults in Cable Shields, 2012 Aircraft Airworthiness and Sustainability Conference, April 2-5, 2012, Baltimore, MD
b) L. Thomson, B. Jones, C. Furse, Locating Small Apertures in Cable Shielding, 2012 IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and 2012 USNC/CNC/URSI Meeting in Chicago, Illinois, July 8-14, 2012
c) B. Jones, C. Furse, Leaky Fields from Damaged Shields, 2011 IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC/CNC/URSI Meeting in Spokane, WA July 4-8, 2011
2. E. Lundquist, C. Furse, Novel Inverse Methods for Wire Fault Detection and Diagnosis, 2011 IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC/CNC/URSI Meeting in Spokane, WA July 4-8, 2011
3. E. Lundquist, S. Wu, B. Jones, C. Furse, C. Lo, Aging Wire Fault Diagnosis Using Faster, Higher-Precision Methods, 2011 Aircraft Airworthiness and Sustainability Conference, April 18-21, 2011, SanDiego, CA
4. Cynthia Furse, Chet Lo, Kevin Wheeler, Fast, Modular Wire Simulation Tools to Better Understand Small Wire Faults, 2010 Aircraft Airworthiness and Sustainment (AA&S) Conference, May 10-13, 2010, Austin, TX
5. Chet Lo, Cynthia Furse, Modeling and
Simulation of Branched Wiring Network,17th Symposium
1. Behrouz Farhang-Boroujeny and Cynthia Furse, Robust Multicarrier Spread Spectrum Techniquefor Data Transmission over Partially Jammed Channels, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 53(3), March 2005, pp. 1038-1044, also presented at MILCOM 2004, October 31 - November 3,2004
Cynthia Furse, You Chung Chung, Rakesh Dangol, Marc Nielsen, Glen Mabey, Raymond Woodward, Frequency Domain Reflectometery for On Board Testing of Aging Aircraft Wiring, IEEE Trans. EMC, Vo. 47, No.2, May 2005, pp. 327 - 334
Access Utah (radio) 12-6-00
1. C. Furse, Aging Aircraft Wiring- Locating Hidden Hazards, International Conference on Computers and Communication Systems, Daegu University, Korea, Nov. 7, 2008
2. P. Kuhn, C. Furse, P. SmithLocating Hidden Hazards on Electrical Wiring, Aged Electrical Systems Research Application Symposium, October 18-19, 2006, Chicago, Illinois
4. C. Furse, Emerging Technologies for Live Wire Fault Location, NAVWAG Conference, San Diego, CA, Nov. 4, 2003
5. C.Furse, Sensors for Critical Fault Location on Live Aging Wiring Networks, International Workshop on Advanced Sensors, Structural Health Monitoring, and Smart Structures, November 10-11, 2003 at Keio University, Yokohama, Japan
6. C.Furse, Smart Sensors for Wiring Health Analysis, AFRL Wiring Integrity System Characterization and Evaluation Programs 1st Information Exchange and Workshop, Oct. 23-24, 2002, Dayton, OH
7. Cynthia Furse, You Chung Chung, Jeremy Pruitt, Glen Mabey , Derek Bates, Santi Basava, Chris Griffin, Mark Schmidt, Krishna Konda, Nagendra Grandhi, Rory Buchanan, Eric Cannon, Suketu Naik, Sumeeth Nagaraj, Sachin Chandra, Clark Landeen, Paul Smith, Deekshit Dosibhatla, Jake Gunther, Chet Lo, Ravi B. Gopal, Alyssa Magelby, In Situ Analysis System for Diagnosis of Aging Aircraft Wiring, IEEE Antennas and Propagation International Symposium, June 16-21, 2002, San Antonio, TX
8. Sean Field, Pall Arnason,Smart Wire Technology for Aircraft Applications, Fifth Joint NASA/FAA/DoD Conference on Aging Aircraft, September 10-13, 2001, Orlando, FLA
Last revised: Jan 2013
For More Information Contact: Dr. Cynthia Furse