For Prospective Graduate Students
I receive quite a few e-mails each year from students wishing
to learn about opportunities to work in the DSP lab under my
It is difficult to respond individually to all the letters.
you may want to know the following before you apply for admission
graduate program and are interested in working with me:
- I am always looking for good students to join my
- Every qualified applicant will be considered for
if the applicant has been admitted to the graduate program and
an interest in working under my supervision. However, there
qualified applicants than positions available.
- With rare exceptions, I will provide financial support
Ph.D. students. TA positions as well as RA positions with
may be available for MS students, but I am not involved with
- The criteria I employ for selecting my students include,
not limited to
- Academic performance including rank in your class. In
excellent grades in signal processing and mathematics
- Reputation of your school.
- GRE scores, especially the quantitative and analytical
- Prior exposure to doing research in signal processing,
results of such work. If you have presented your results in
technical journals, it is a definite plus.
- Positive recommendations of your professors or
- Ability to program in MATLAB or another commonly used
such as c++.
- Good written and oral communication skills.