Teaching assistants (TAs) are needed for many ECE classes. Both graduate and undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.  The TA application and selection process is conducted by Hana Stecki under the supervision of Dr. Darrin Young. With questions, please contact Hana at hana.stecki@utah.edu.

Teaching Assistant Application

The TA application for Spring 2021 will be open on November 5th at 8:00am-November 30th at 11:59pm.


Please submit your completed application within that timeframe. Under no circumstances will incomplete or late applications be considered for positions. If you have specific questions regarding the application before you submit it, please contact Hana Stecki. TA assignments will be made in November, please do not contact the department about your application and available positions until August.

TA assignments are made three times each year for the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.  Students interested in a TA position should check the application for information on deadlines, courses that need TAs, and additional information.

Apply Now

Teaching Assistant Requirements

Teaching Assistants must review these requirements every semester in which they receive a teaching assistant assignment.  Acceptance of an assignment certifies that they have reviewed and will comply with these requirements:

  1. Review the Policy for Returning Homework, Lab Books and Exams policy.
  2. Review the University guidelines regarding sexual misconduct and on academic accommodations for students with disabilities .
  3. Review the Important Teaching Assignment & Tuition Benefit Information form.
  4. For graduate students who are eligible for tuition benefit, a completed Tuition Benefit Enrollment Form (see the Graduate School website for more information) must be submitted to the Graduate Coordinator.
  5. Completed payroll documents submitted to payroll reporter; email Holly Cox at h.cox@utah.edu for an appointment.
    1. Personnel Information form.
    2. Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) form id completed online. Bring in the originals of the required documentation so they may be copied.
      • International students will need to bring in their unexpired foreign passport with visa, I-94, I-20, work authorization letter from the International Student and Scholars office, and a receipt from the Social Security Administration to be scanned for their first-time payroll documentation.
  6. W-4 completed online (U.S. citizens and permanent residents)

Note:  For information on FICA (Social Security) taxes for students, go to http://fbs.admin.utah.edu/tax-services/common-university-tax-issues/student-employee-fica-exclusion/.