Teaching assistants (TAs) are needed for many ECE classes. Both graduate and undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.

Teaching Assistant Application

Apply Here

The TA application for ECE courses for Fall 2023 will open on April 1st. TA assignments will be made by June 5th. Please do not contact the department about your application and available positions until then.

Please submit your completed application within that timeframe. Under no circumstances will incomplete or late applications be considered. If you have specific questions regarding the application before you submit it, please contact h.cox@utah.edu

TA assignments are made three times each year for the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. Students interested in a TA position should check the application for information on deadlines, courses that need TAs, and additional information.


Term Application Opens Priority Deadline Application Closes Offers made
Fall April 1st April 21st June 30th June 5th
Spring Oct 1st Oct 22nd Dec 1st Dec 1st
Summer March 1st March 10th March 10th March 24th

Please note these dates are approximate and may change slightly from year to year if the day falls on a weekend.

Teaching Assistant Requirements

Students must have completed or be currently enrolled in the Teaching Mentorship course ECE 5960-012 for undergrads, ECE 6960-012 for MS, or ECE 7951-001 for Ph.D. students. The class will discuss the following topics and more:

  1. Lab Bench Standards
  2. Grading
  3. Designing Homeworks
  4. Managing Difficult Classroom Situations
  5. Policy for Returning Homework, Lab Books, and Exams.
  6. University guidelines regarding sexual misconduct and academic accommodations for students with disabilities.
  7. Teaching Assignment & Tuition Benefit Information

The following forms must be filed with the Administrative Manager, Holly Cox and are due within 3 days of notification of assignment:

  1. Declaration to Accept or Decline Subsidized Student Health Insurance form (see the Graduate School website for more information regarding this offer).
  2. Payroll documents:
    1. Personnel Information Form.
    2. Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) Complete this form online and bring in the originals of the required documentation so they may be copied.
  3. International students will need to bring in their I-20, an International work authorization letter, a passport (with visa and I-94), and a receipt from the Social Security Administration to be copied for their first-time payroll documentation.

NOTE: FICA (Social Security) taxes: Full-time students who are employed by the University are exempt from FICA (Social Security) taxes and should file a form to this effect. Students who are funded as RAs and TAs during the summer must register for a minimum of 3 required hours in order to be eligible for FICA exemptions. This form is available from the Payroll office at 411 Park Building. A form must be filled out each semester to keep the exemption in effect.