Transfer Student Admissions

Welcome! We are excited that you are interested in studying either Electrical or Computer Engineering at the University of Utah.

You are in good company! Over half of our undergraduate students transferred to the University of Utah from another institution. We highly value the diverse perspectives that transfer students bring to our program and community, and we are so happy you are considering joining us to complete your Bachelor’s degree. If you have any questions after looking through this page, feel free to contact the Academic Advisor for the major that you are interested in.

Advising Team

Next Steps:

  1. Apply to the University of Utah as a Transfer Student.
  2. Submit all transcripts from previous institutions to the U Office of Admissions. Provide an authenticated translation where necessary.
  3. Choose your program of study. You can view the sample plans for Electrical and Computer Engineering degrees on our advising page.
  4. Once you receive a statement of accepted transfer classes, complete a Transfer Petition for any out of state courses so that we can look at what you have already completed (we will not be able to do this until you have been accepted as a student by the U Office of Admissions). You can use the articulation sheets below to know which courses align with U of U courses if your previous institution is listed.
  5. Apply for major status through the pre-major process during the semester in which you are completing the required pre-major classes. If you already completed the pre-major classes at your previous institution, you may apply immediately.
  6. Apply for John and Marcia Price College of Engineering scholarships by February 1 (you do not need to be admitted to the major yet). And be sure to search the University of Utah scholarship database for other scholarships (deadlines vary; apply to the U by March 1st to be automatically considered for merit and diversity scholarships; for need-based scholarships, submit FAFSA by February 1 priority deadline)
  7. Pay your enrollment deposit and attend New Student Orientation.

Transferring from another University?

Transferology is a tool that can help you see how courses from other institutions will transfer into the university. Once you have entered your coursework, exams, and/or military learning experiences into the system, you will also be able to run a University of Utah degree audit to see how they apply to your desired program.

Already attending the U? The Transferology tool will help you see how a course completed “back home” will transfer and apply to your declared major.

Visit Transferology

Out of State Transfer Petitions

The university evaluates general education courses, and all other courses must be evaluated by each individual department. For example, a general chemistry course would be evaluated by the chemistry department. Please see the list below for the correct forms for your transfer petitions.

Electrical and Computer Engineering and Biology Courses
Computer Science Courses
Math Courses
Physics Courses
Chemistry Courses

Transferring from SLCC?

Here are a few guides to help your course selection prior to transferring:

*all courses for the APE in EE are transferable except for ENGR 2950.

Electrical Engineering CALC READY SLCC PlanElectrical Engineering Pre-Calc SLCC PlanComputer Engineering CALC READY SLCC PlanComputer Engineering Pre-Calc SLCC Transfer Plan