Transfer Credits to Graduate Degree

The ECE department encourages students to transfer eligible credits immediately upon entering the graduate program to ensure that credits have not expired and that a student can properly prepare a plan for their degree.

Eligibility Criteria

In order for credit to be applied to toward a student’s graduate degree requirements and Program of Study, the credits must meet the following criteria:

  • Are approved for transfer by the University of Utah ECE department
  • Were 5000- level or higher, or otherwise considered graduate level coursework
  • Were taken within 3 years of request for transfer approval
  • Were from a course that received a B grade or higher; “credit only” grades cannot be transferred. This includes Graduate Seminar taken as a University of Utah undergraduate student.
  • Were not applied towards a student’s previous undergraduate or graduate degree requirement. This includes credit from the University of Utah if it was previously used for a degree at another institution.


When looking to transfer applicable credit to their graduate Program of Study students should contact the Graduate Student Coordinator with the required materials:

  1. Appropriate credit form filled out (see below). The Graduate Student Coordinator will collect the required department signatures.
  2. Transcript*, if transferring credits from outside the University of Utah
  3. Official Course Description/Syllabus*, if transferring credits from outside the University of Utah or Course Comparisons for Utah Universities table.

*International documents must be translated into English prior to submission.

Transfer Forms and Credit Limits