The University of Utah’s ECE program has some of the best faculty in the world, but how much do you know about them? 

WEILU GAO

1. Where are you from?

I am from the eastern coastal area of China.

2. What do you like most about living in Utah?

A nice blend of city life and outdoor activities, especially family-friendly.

3. What brought you to the University of Utah?

Excellent research activities in optics, a vast number of collaborators from various departments and colleges, a unique entrepreneurial spirit of the University and the state.

4. How do you like working at the University of Utah?

A beautiful campus, a collaborative and inclusive department, and a friendly community.

5. How did you get interested in engineering?

When I was an undergraduate, I had always been curious about proving learning concepts from the textbook through real-world examples and implementing fun stuff by translating written-on-paper knowledge to sitting-on-desk objects.

6. What research are you doing?

I am a scientist and engineer designing high-performance and unprecedented photonic and optoelectronic components using “weird” nanotechnology.

7. How will your research help people?

My research aims to leverage the advantage of optics for better communication and computing systems and improving health and wellbeing.

8. What is your biggest inspiration?

Understanding science, exploring nature, and improving our daily life is my biggest motivation.

9. What advice do you have for aspiring engineers?

Be critical. Don’t take anything for granted and enjoy the journey of unraveling the unknown.

Learn more on Gao’s website here.

BENJAMIN SANCHEZ

1. Where are you from?

I am from Vilafranca del Penedes, a small town known for its tradition of building human towers and about 30 minutes car drive from Barcelona, Spain.

Salt Lake City is a hidden gem in the US. You have the convenience of a city while also having breath-taking outdoors. Weather permits, I love cycling in the canyons.

The strategic plan of the University and the State to make Utah a technological hub, with a stellar array of colleagues and potential collaborators at the U as well as biotechnology companies in the area.

I could not be happier, the University, colleagues, and environment are simply outstanding

5. Tell us about your research?

My research is application-driven and it expands from solving fundamental engineering and biophysics problems to integrating this knowledge into novel devices that can monitor and measure human health and provide medically accurate data.

6. How will your research help people? 

A major thrust of my research efforts is to enhance the development of bench-to-bedside technologies and to actively apply these to a variety of clinical conditions.

7. How did you get interested in engineering? 

My first experience was when I was 12 and I built my first direct current motor. It continues to amaze me to learn how things work and solving the technical challenges to make it happen.

8. What is your biggest inspiration? 

My greatest source of inspiration is to know that by solving major health challenges we can have an impact on the lives of many people. This motivates me to try to do my best.

9. What advice you do have for aspiring engineers? 

For everyone actually, my advice is to be curious about where things come from, that will tickle your brain and will make you want to know more.