International students qualify for many on-campus research and job opportunities. Although they are not eligible for Federal Student Aid or merit scholarships administered by the University of Utah Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, there are some scholarships and fellowships specifically intended for international students. International students may also hold some types of jobs and internships, depending on their F-1 or J-1 status.

For more information contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) Scholarships

All other scholarship opportunities

Note: Some scholarships may require a FAFSA submission. To complete the FAFSA, you will need a Social Security Number (SSN) which can only be obtained when seeking employment. If you are not/have not been employed you will not have SSN and will not be able to apply for these types of scholarship.

Important Information

Policies for On-Campus Employment for F-1 Students

-After receiving a job offer: How to Apply for a Social Security Number (SSN)

Campus Jobs

Department Teaching Assistants (TAs) are needed for many ECE classes. Both graduate and undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.

Graduate Student Assistantships – Graduate students interested in assignments such as teaching assistant, research assistant, or graduate assistant should contact their department for application information.

On-Campus jobs offer convenience and have the flexibility to accommodate student schedules.

Student Research

Engineering Scholars Program (ESP) – The John and Maria Price College of Engineering and the University of Utah also offer research programs that have financial assistance benefits

Office of Undergraduate Research (UROP) provides a $1,200 stipend and educational programming for students who assist with a faculty member’s research or creative project or who carry out a project of their own under the supervision of a faculty member.

Graduate School Awards – monetary awards for submitted papers, master’s thesis, and doctoral dissertations.

Information for F-1 Students
CPT Policy Guide
OPT Policy Guide

How to Apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) to be eligible to work

Information for J-1 Students

College of Engineering Jobs Board

Campus Career Fairs and Expos – begin networking and find a job or internship at regularly-occurring campus career fairs.

Internships – will allow you to apply what you have learned in the classroom to a professional setting. Positions may be paid or unpaid but will allow you to gain skills, in-depth knowledge of a particular industry, and begin networking for your career.

Visit Career Services to find off-campus internships and work opportunities

Meet with University Career Coaches to achieve educational and processional goals. Graduate students are recommended to meet with Dan Moseson.

Handshake – an online recruiting platform for students and new grads

Tuition Reimbursement – Many companies hiring engineers offer various forms of tuition reimbursement (some up to $5k-$20k a year) for students working to receive graduate degrees. If you are currently employed in an engineering role or receiving job offers, ask if this benefit is available to you.

Additional Questions?

One of our program contacts will happily answer any additional questions or concerns you may have.

John Bolke

Phone: 801-581-6943


Office: MEB 2110D