Yes, you must complete the University of Utah Graduate Application after completing your BS courses, even though you have been accepted to the BS/MS program.

The program is competitive and there are no exceptions to the minimum 3.3 GPA requirement. Admission to the Combined Degree Program guarantees admission to the Graduate School as long as a minimum GPA of 3.3 is maintained and paperwork submitted.

On the BS/MS Application, you may declare which master track option you would like to follow. If you do not declare the program option, upon reaching graduate status, students are admitted to the Master of Science Coursework Option but may transfer to the Master of Science Thesis or Project Option upon the approval of their Supervisory Committee Chair. A recommendation letter from their intended research advisor is required.

Transfer from undergraduate to graduate status occurs after completion of a minimum of 122 semester credit hours of qualified undergraduate studies and before more than 12 semester credit hours of approved graduate work has been completed.

  • April 1 is the application deadline to apply to the MS Program to start fall term without a late fee of $30.
  • July 15 is the last day to apply to start fall term. A late fee of $30 will be applied.
  • September 30 is the application deadline to start spring semester.
  • Yes, students in the BS program have automatic acceptance into the MS ECE Program with a 3.3 or higher GPA.
  • Please formally apply to the MS Program


Coursework may not be applied to more than one degree. If a 5000/6000 level class was used to complete the BS, you can not count that course towards the MS degree.

Students are eligible to apply for Teaching Assistant positions and receive any tuition benefits that come with the positions.

Students typically complete the graduate application in the Spring of their senior year.

You may apply to the Ph.D. program if you have a faculty or 3rd party supervisor willing to financially support your research, however, we recommend completing your BS and MS degrees before you apply to the Ph.D. program.

  • Upon admittance to graduate status, students are no long eligible for undergraduate financial aid.
  • The undergraduate University of Utah Engineering scholarships end once you move to ECE MS/graduate status
  • It is recommended you contact the scholarships agent to inquire if the scholarship will continue in a master program.
  • Scholarships may be reviewed on a case basis – please see Graduate Advisor for more details

You are eligible to transfer 6 units of graduate credits as long as they were not used for BS graduation requirements.

Additional Questions?

One of our program contacts will happily answer any additional questions or concerns you may have.

John Bolke

Phone: 801-581-6943


Office: MEB 2110D